Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Mamalama sweaters






K calls me mamalama sometimes, when I am putting her to bed, and she has just one more thing to tell me before I leave the room.

I started making these sweaters as a modification of the Baby Delight cardigan. Basically, I've become a lazy knitter. I don't like seaming. I don't like carrying a pattern around with me. I like to knit on the ferry, at work in lab meetings - places where I need EASY knitting. I also like the way raglan sleeves look. So, these sweaters are my mindless knitting. Round and round and round - start at the top, and stop when they fit. I do the sleeves back and forth, because I don't like double pointed needles, which means I have to sew up the underarms, but that's it. I make a square for a pocket, and then let the kids pick an iron-on patch to put on the pocket (originally, this was because B wanted a bunny, and I was too lazy to find a very small bunny intarsia pattern). The first one I did (the spiral one) has a square of intarsia sewn onto it, which was a lazy version of the front of the sheep sweater, so clearly, my laziness is progressive.


But a cool thing about these sweaters (especially the ones worked in Bernat Denim Style, which is super duper cuddly) is that they stretch longer as kids wear them, and we wash them. This can lead to a neckline that stretches too big, but also means that the sweaters have grown along with the kids. Here is K, wearing the spiral sweater when she was 2, and she is still wearing it now, at 5. Of course, being my kids, they aren't growing like beanpoles or anything, so results might vary.


No comments: