Friday, September 28, 2007

Knitting Book Rant

First, let me say that I am delighted to see so many wonderful new books of knitting patterns hitting the shelves. You guys rock. I might even buy a couple, instead of xeroxing the patterns from friends or from the library. But why is the first half of every knitting book filled with detailed descriptions of the basics - How to cast on. The knit stich. The purl stich. I will accept that some beginning knitters will appreciate having one or two books of beginner instructions, along with some lovely beginner patterns. But does it have to be in every book? In your book? And I saw this as a person who basically learned to knit from books. Can't you trust that they'll go out and buy a bigger, better book of instructions (or borrow it from the library)? And frankly, many of these books are full of patterns that no begining knitter is ever going to follow anyway. Look- with that space, you could have included 5 more patterns. Or pictures of each pattern in a different yarn. Variations on the theme. What a baby sweater looks like in the 3 months size, and what the same sweater looks like in the 2 year size. Ok. I'm done now.

No comments: