Friday, September 28, 2007

Literary Knitting Heroines

A list, to be augmented:

DeFarge.

Wavey Prose, Beety, and Bunny Quoyle, from Annie Proux's The Shipping News. Obviously important to me, as I've discussed..

Elizabeth Bennett - a great literary heroine to be sure, but really, I can't remember if knitting actually occurs in the novel, and if it does, I don't see it as very Lizzy-like. Knitting makes her like the rest of the women in her world. Reading, walking outdoors, turning down marriage proposals make her beloved.

Molly Weasley - the grande dame of Potter knitting. I'm planning to make my children Weasley sweaters for Christmas every year too. Ok, maybe just Mamalama sweaters, but hey - maybe Molly and I use the same pattern.
Dobby. unmatched socks, good enough for a ball. With broomsticks and snitches, even.
Hermione - elf hats. Must reread this. Did they have holes for ears?

Marion Winik, in First Comes Love (yes, I know she is a real person, and that book is memoir, not fiction, but...). That line about a great big red piece of nothing that she knit after loosing her baby has always stuck with me. And she called the baby Pee Wee! I just love her books, that's all.

Goodness. There must be millions of novels out there with characters who knit. Even recent novels. Can you think of any?

No comments: