Sunday, November 23, 2008

Wacky Project of the Week

Some time ago, I saw a photo in a gardening magazine of someone's "quirky" garden, which included an entire armchair covered in mosses. I thought it was a great idea, so I decided to do a simpler version in my own yard.

First, I had to find an old wooden chair with a removable seat. I found this one for $5 at The Salvation Army in San Rafael.


Then, I made a basket out of plastic netting left over from puppy-proofing the fence.


Which I lined with weed cloth.


And tucked into the chair to make a "seat planter" that would hold dirt, but also drain well.


I staple-gunned that to the frame.


And filled it with compost and potting mix.


And planted it with elfin thyme, and an ivy cutting. I may add some sweat pea seeds or other vining plants too.


Ta Da! Ok, I agree, the overall artistic quality is still a bit lacking, but I'm confident that it will look sufficiently quirky when the plants have filled in.

No comments: